Thursday, August 9, 2012

Good Night, Good Knights

Last evening at the 40th Anniversary/Birthday party for VM at SHARE, we honored sixteen outstanding people and welcomed them into the Order of the Knights of VM. I'll let the LVM SHARE officers post the list of new Knights. One can see the previous knights here.

Some of you know and understand the Knights of VM, others of you may be scratching your head and wondering if I hit my head. The Knights are people who have contributed to the VM product and community over the years. They are selected by the Community usually every five years in conjunction with a major VM anniversary. Each knight or dame is given a title specific to their contribution or character.

I have few things framed in my office, but the certificate showing me as a companion in the Order of the Knights of VM is one of them. And if I could only have one thing on my wall, it would be that frame. Is there any greater thrill than to be honored by one's peers? At the same time, I am humbled, feeling as though my name doesn't belong on the same list as so many outstanding individuals.

Last night, it was precious to see the faces of individuals as their names were called. There are no fancy acceptance speeches. That's not the way of a Knight. There was applause. There were smiles at some of cuter titles bestowed on our knights and dames. There was admiration in the eyes of others, knowing how these people touched the product and touched the people involved. That is the way of a Knight.

Before I had become a knight, I recall joking with my manager at the time. I asked him if I rode a horse to work, where could I keep it. He told me I didn't have a need for a horse. So you can imagine my excitement when becoming a knight. I thought for sure I now had a legitimate reason to own a horse. I mean, what's a knight without a horse? I lost the argument. But there are times when I'll gallop in the halls of IBM Endicott. You know, that one sided skip we all did as kids pretending we were riding a horse. It always makes me feel better. You should try it.

One of the previous knights, Nick Gimbrone, Sir Nick the Insightful, made yet another insightful point during the discussion for this year's selection of knights. He reminded us how the knights of old had support, their squires and shield bearers. Just another wonderful picture of the VM Community.

Congratulations to the Knights and Dames of the Class of 2012! Thank you for serving with honor and diligence.

Sir Bit, The Performer

No comments:

Post a Comment