Monday, August 6, 2012

My First SHARE

Here I am at SHARE in Anaheim, California. I believe this is my 47th SHARE meeting. Some other speeds and feeds:
  • 178 = Number of times I've presented at SHARE
  • 23 = Number of cities visited
  • 16 = Number of States or Provinces visited with SHARE
  • 16 = Number of VM releases I've spoken about at a SHARE
  • 8 = Number of times I've been to SHARE in Anaheim (highest of the cities)
  • 6 = Highest number of sessions I've presented in a single SHARE metting
  • 6  = Number of  Chocolate Pig-outs attended
  • 2 = Number of countries I've been to for SHARE (Not counting Guide-SHARE Europe which would add two more)
  • 155,240 = Number of miles traveled for SHARE.
For me it all began in August of 1990 in New Orleans. That was my first SHARE. I went there for just one day of the conference to present "Introduction to VM/SP Performance". SHARE attendance was much larger in those days. They needed a half dozen or more hotels to hold all the attendees at the time.

I got in fairly late the night before. Registration was closed. My session was also the first session slot the next morning at the same time registration opened. I was going to break a rule by showing up to a session without a badge. My first SHARE. The climate in New Orleans is a tad different than Endicott, NY, especially in August. Also, keep in mind that these were the days where IBMers wore suits all the time in public.

I remember walking into the room for my session, brow wet with sweat and my shirt soaked. The combination of heat, humidity, nerves, fear of no badge, and stage fright all rolled together. I must have been quite the sight.I have no idea why I didn't throw up or just turn around and leave. I was greeted by one of the nicest people I've ever met at SHARE, Carol MacNaughton, of Bell Northern Research at the time. Like a life guard saving a floundering swimmer, she introduced herself and explained that she would be chairing my session and was there to help. It got better after that.

I can't find that presentation and I don't remember much of what I said. I do recall making my first joke. I told the audience that on the flight down to New Orleans, I sat next to a twelve year old who traveled frequently. During the pre-flight safety demonstration, he turned to me and said "why do they go through this every time? We all know it."  With that, I smiled and put up the official IBM Disclaimer chart. (I put it up on the overhead projector, we used transparencies in those days). I got a couple laughs or at least smiles and I made it through the presentation.

I was able to attend a few other sessions that day, including a requirements session. I was amazed at how much went on at a conference. Even in one day, I saw there was something special about this group of people, including that I had much to learn from them. (And I still do.) I had survived and I was hooked. I'd skip the interim SHARE after that, but go to San Francisco in 1991 as part of the transition SHARE with Paul Van Leer.


The rest as they say is history. I can't thank the customers and vendors enough, especially Carol, for their kindness in welcoming me. I'm looking forward to a great week here at SHARE. If you're here, please be sure to see Jim Elliott's session: 45 years of Mainframe Virtualization on Wednesday at 4:30, followed by the VM Birthday Party at 6:00.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nick,
    Of all the numbers, the chocolate pig outs were the one on which I had the least information. I tried to go back over the cities and count the formal chocolate pig outs. If I had counted the informal chocolate outings, the count would be double or maybe even triple digits.

    Greetings from SHARE,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill I always enjoyed your sessions. Especially when everybody was waiting for the first IT DEPENDS.

    Great Blog
    Steffen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Steffen, Thanks for reading and the kind words! I hope you are well.

      Regards,
      Bill

      Delete