Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Plus One to Grow On

In case you weren't counting, yesterday's entry was the 40th. But I thought I'd add one more to wrap up things. When I started this series of writings, I was very afraid that I would run out of topics or the time required would be too much, and I would fail. I'm glad to say, we did it. I greatly appreciate the support from various people.


Since many of the entries were written late at night, there were even greater chances of errors in grammar and spelling than my day time writing. Thanks very much to those that provided corrections, in particular: Perry Ruiter, Mary Ellen Carollo, and Phil Smith.

Thanks also to the various people that provided topic ideas or allowed me to think out loud. Including the noon time walking group: Kevin Adams, Alan Altmark, John Franciscovich, Mark Lorenc, and Bill Stephens.

Thanks to those who networked the topics, sharing with friends and colleagues, in particular: Gabe Goldberg.

Thanks to those of you that left comments, that made it much more enjoyable for me.

Most importantly, thanks to those of you that read and gave me feedback to let me know that it was worthwhile. Many of your positive comments touched me, and encouraged me when I needed it the most.

I learned a lot in this journey. I have a much greater appreciation for professional writers, especially those that write on a daily basis. There are things I wish I had done differently. I really wish I had timed things out better and had created a more detailed outline of all the topics on day one.

I know all of you reading this have your own stories to tell, and I encourage you to go tell them and share them.

I am also fascinated at how various topics ending up creating new threads and connections:
  • I was contacted by a brand new System z person in Belgium working on z/OS who came upon the blog.
  • I exchanged emails with an author whose book was sitting on the 'please read me' pile on my desk, after he was forwarded one of the entries on problem determination.
  • Reconnecting with some of the people discussed in the topics
I am also able to get some statistics on readers of the blog. It appears we ended with readers from almost 30 countries. In the Olympic spirit, here are the top ten countries. I had fun watching as Latvia came on strong during later half, but was edged out by France in the past couple of days:
  1. United States
  2. Russia
  3. Canada
  4. United Kingdom
  5. Germany
  6. Netherlands
  7. Japan
  8. Australia
  9. Brazil
  10. France
So what's next? Talk to me in five years. Though my idea for the 45th is a series of interviews with others.


Thanks again everyone!!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sir Bit the Performer, for the great memories you shared about VM software and VM people.

    Sir Fran of the Rock (Order of Knights of VM)
    Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir Fran,
      Thank you. It's truly been a privilege and a pleasure to share these stories.

      Regards,
      Sir Bit

      Delete
  2. I can't believe that there have been 40 entries already! Now what will I look forward to every day? Thank you, Bill!

    Dame Carol the Coordinator

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time flies when you're having fun or behind schedule. :-) Thanks for the kind words Carol.

      Regards,
      Bill

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you hit 40 already either! I think you need to keep going Not 40 in 40 - that's too hard - but weekly or monthly. You have a lot of so much valuable info bouncing around in that head of yours - put in into bits (pun intended :) and you can relax and share the knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcy,
      Thanks. I am giving thought to next steps. Thanks for the ideas. :-)

      Bit

      Delete